Place-based teaching and learning in SD61

Maker in my library

There is still a long way to go before the libraries I have worked in thus far have dedicated Makerspaces that support transliteracies, collaborative learning, and the design thinking process. After reading pages 3-17 of Making in the Library Toolkit from Young Adult Library Services Association, I have put together a brief list of what my library has and what it would benefit from:

Already in PlacePossibilities for my School Community
DIY & Crafting

A collection of materials for “making” or crafting (cardboard, glue, mark-making, lego)

Using the library space to make things (cardboard robots, paper plate weaving)

Literacy programs

iPads/Chromebooks

Scratch & iMovies

Well-lit & spacious

Sharing photos & examples of student work in the hallways
Making with intent, collaboration, and design thinking

“Robotics, engineering, sewing, coding, carpentry, cooking, electronics, rockets, furniture making, anything that sparks curiosity and engages critical thinking…” (p.4)

“Investigate and construct a hybrid of fine arts, sciences, crafts, industrial technologies, foods, inventions, textiles, hobbies, service learning, digital media, upcycling, STEM/ STEAM, and DIY (do it yourself) and DIT (do it together) concepts.” (p.4)

Maker Faire

Transliteracies programming

Community connections: storytelling, workshops, skills sharing, “open hack nights” (p.9), partnerships

Well-organized makerspace (or even pop-up/mobile makerspace)

Room reservation for specific groups/use-cases

Modularity

Makerspace sign

Monthly/weekly programming

“Stealth” program (p.9)

Documenting successes for reports

Branding

Since my experience has been brief (since October 2020) and coloured by the COVID-19 Pandemic, I am curious to see how these libraries shift once the current restrictions lift to allow both community engagement and cross-school collaborations.

What I am most excited to explore are community connections and engagement: workshops, storytelling, skills sharing, “open hack nights”, etc. Have you had any success or learning experiences with initiating community engagement in your school library?

1. Cole

Hi Katrina,

At an elementary school I worked at a few years ago, I saw the TL seek support of the PAC when doing an event at the school. It was to fundraise for new books and tech. in the library. She knew if the PAC got on board it would be more successful and after spending the night talking about her vision and showing what they do and could possibly do, PAC gave her a sizable grant. It serves as a reminder of how important PACs are in the school community!

Good question,
    Cole

2. Carrie Ann Taylor

Hi Katrina,

Carrie Ann here.

I worked as a Community Leadership Teacher Advisor for a number of years, and our students would hold events that utilized the library space and some did engage community. Examples are inviting local MLAs or MPs in to speak, running the Student Vote during provincial and federal elections (cooperated with TL and had local media in), and our Multicultural Week, during which some community connections occurred (parents sharing traditional cultural objects, clothing, and food with our community via their kids/our students)… but the LLC could have been much more utilized in terms of community connections.

The PAC and Alumni groups did use it for meetings.

That’s about all I’ve seen…. but the idea of partnering with existing groups and programs to get community connections off the ground is a good one, I think (e.g. leadership, robotic, environmental, textile programs, etc.)… as they may have existing community connections they could build on and/or family members who might love to visit the school and see more what their children are up to.

Hope this is helpful!
    🙂

PS love the ‘storytelling’ idea — amazing!