Place-based teaching and learning in SD61

TPACK and SAMR in the Library

The traditional school library is transforming. From the old model of checking books in-and-out into a new virtual and physical space that blends inquiry, exploration, socialization, collaboration, co-teaching, digital citizenship, and information literacy into a community hub within the school (and online!).

What does this mean for teacher librarians? Well, for one, it’s time to become the tech leaders of the school.

Two leading models for tech integration are TPACK and SAMR. How can these models be used to support teachers in the library? I’ve explored this in a mind map below.

Questions:

• When assessing the richness of a tech tool, are you a lone wolf or do you reach out to colleagues for their advice and expertise?
  • As a TL, how would you go about overcoming hesitancy towards collaboration and receiving resource suggestions?

https://www.edutopia.org/article/powerful-model-understanding-good-tech-integration

https://sites.google.com/site/bythebrooksdesignforlearning/samr

1. Hayley

Comment from Hayley

Hi Katrina,
    Thank you for sharing your mindmap. I appreciate that you included visuals and that you were able to start identifying areas where you could support classroom teachers. To answer your questions:
    1. I’m a bit of both. If I come across a new tech tool online or that I read about, I’m likely to try it out and see if it would fit into my programming. But, with that being said, I love hearing about the tech tools my colleagues use, because they often have gems to share.
    2. As a TL, as with teaching, it all starts with relationships. I would build relationships across my school community. Then at staff meetings, I would share resources, provide new tech suggestions, and put the invitation out to collaborate, reminding staff that I would love to hear how I can support them (that includes any new resources that would support their programming).
    Thank you for sharing!
    Hayley

• Katrina.BC

Hi Hayley,
      Have you had any experience collaborating in your career? What have been some of your successes and how did they start? Have you had any unsuccessful collaboration attempts? What did you learn from those?
      I’m just starting out in my career and have not yet had a lot of opportunities to collaborate. I’ve heard of several barriers from more seasoned teachers and am always interested in hearing specific examples.