Place-based teaching and learning in SD61

Screen Casting

I have the Chrome extension, “Screencastify” loaded on Google Chrome, which allows me to record my screen with microphone and camera options. I’ve used this a few times in my Education journey thus far, and am getting more comfortable with the options to Pause while filming to take a breath and gather my thoughts, edit the video once it’s made, rehearse my idea in advance so I don’t create quite as many flops…

This time, I chose to make a quick video to describe one of the Canva pieces I made for my Tracking post. This video very swiftly describes the “Styles” button on Canva. I then posted it as “unlisted” on my YouTube account, added manual subtitles for accessibility, and set up the usage rights that I felt comfortable with.

Embedded is the fruit of my experimentation.

Screencastify of Canva “Styles” feature. Created by Katrina Crawshaw.

I would 100% use Screencasting in my library to create How-To videos, describe my process, and quickly address common technical issues. I might invite kids to create their own How-To’s, ask teachers to walk me through technical issues they’re experiencing, and record workshops/presentations for sharing. I have also used and enjoyed the platform Loom to create screencast videos.

Over to you: What would you use Screencasting for in your library & teaching practice? What are some reservations you experience with this tool?

1. Hayley

Hayley

Hi Katrina,
    Thank you for sharing how you use the style button on Canva – what a great tool! Your video had good pacing, and your instructions were clear and informative. My only suggestion moving forward would be to change your mouse cursor (either making it larger in your computer settings, or using a screencasting program that allows you to highlight your cursor), so it is easier to follow on the screen.

In my library, I would use screencasting to create How-To videos, for teaching mini lessons so I am free to roam and support students, or to share new technology. I would have students use screencasting to provide overviews of their design thinking as they share their maker projects. I would also have them use it to creat how-to videos (e.g. walking me through their process on Scratch).

Well done!
    Hayley

• Katrina.BC

Hi Hayley,
      It’s good to receive that feedback, because it’s the same feedback I gave to others. I’d like to see about making that the default on Screencastify.

2. Lauren

Lauren

Hi Katrina,
    Before taking any of the TL courses, I’d never heard of Canva…I’ve used it quite a bit since then, but have never checked out the styles feature. Thanks for the walk-through – it was thorough while being quick and easy to follow. I tried using Screencastify for the first time with mine, and I had no idea there was a pause option. I feel like I’ve learned a lot here.

I’d use screencasting in the library to create how to videos (this can run teacher-student, student-teacher, student-student, and beyond), and have students use it as a tool to explain their processes in presentations of learning. I’d also use it to create in the moment instruction for students as needed. I read an article recently about how students found TL screencasts to be helpful in “illustrating complex search strategies to find information resources” (Carr, 2009). As students work their way through the screencast, the TL can move through the LLC and provide additional support 1-1 as needed.

My reservations in using screencasting would involve which tools to use (Jing, Captivate, Camtasia, Screencastify…there are a number of options). I’d also be looking at the privacy policies / user agreements and doing quite a bit of background work before introducing whichever tool I selected to staff/students.

Have a great day,
    Lauren

Reference:
    Carr, Allison, and Pearl Ly. “‘More Than Words’: Screencasting as a Reference Tool.” Reference Services Review, vol. 37, no. 4, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2009, pp. 408–20, doi:10.1108/00907320911007010.

3. Cristina

Hi Katrina,

Love, Love, Love this video tutorial. Thanks for the tips. To answer your first question I think these tutorials would be great for older students to design and create with guidance from the TL as a way to share their knowledge and support with fellow students. Giving students a chance to showcase their tech skills is so empowering.
    Thanks again for the video tips.
    Cristina