Place-based teaching and learning in SD61

Privacy in BC Education

After reading A K–12 Primer for British Columbia Teachers Posting Students’ Work Online by Julia Hengstler, I have some questions about tech safety/privacy in the classroom:

• How can I build inclusivity into my tech-integrated lesson plans, if there are some students who are not cleared to post or participate online?
  • Are there special considerations for classroom video conferencing that I need to be aware of? (ie, if I want to Zoom or video-call an expert in a subject area, what considerations do I need to plan for?)
  • Who owns collaborated documents and artifacts? What happens when one party wants to use it/change it/post it, but others do not? How can that be resolved?

Reference:

http://etec.ctlt.ubc.ca/510wiki/images/2/2b/Primer_on_Posting_Minor_Students_Final.pdf

1. Angellina

Angellina

Hi Katrina,

Wow! Your questions are amazing! Thank you for sharing them! I really wish I had the answers to these.

I really love your first question and it is something I have struggled with in the past, I wish I had an answer. Unfortunately I have often found it is only one student that doesn’t get permission and I feel it really makes them stick out and embarassed when they are the only one not doing what everyone else is.

I had never considered question 3 before. I guess it would be that everyone who particiapted owns the copyright and they would need everyone’s permission to post it our use it.

You have given me lots to think about!
    Angellina

2. Cole

Hi Katrina,

Your first question is one that will inevitably. Most districts have a tech policy that they are tools to use and enhance learning but in no case can be mandatory and you must offer alternatives if requested. Depending on why they are not cleared to participate online, alternatives could be offering Microsoft 365 over Google Apps if it is a privacy concern and if it is just an anti tech sentiment, you must oblige. Find ways to have them participate without using tech is one way. If you are all collaborating together they can still give ideas and you can be the note taker. This is where collaboration is key because they may still be able to participate fully, just not behind a screen. We sometimes have to accomodate the whole class for one student and tech is no different.
    Number 2, I think if you can keep it to district approved video conferencing that is ideal and each district has different rules. Some use MS Teams, Google Meet, or Zoom. Also, don’t use your personal accounts or devices in the school seems to be another rule of thumb due to privacy concerns.
    Number 3, it can vary. Google says it does not own your documents, but if you read the fine print in some districts the district itself is the owner. SD61 has an FAQ that says this: https://www.sd61.bc.ca/programs/digital-learning/sd61-gafe/faq/ . Google’s terms of services say that the owner is anyone who has ability to “control the content and its use.” So if you create it then give editing access to others, they are owners as well.

Great questions, very thought provoking!

Cole