Place-based teaching and learning in SD61

Focused PLN’s

A common concern I hear is that of teacher-librarians wishing to make virtual library learning commons (VLLC) spaces more accessible to students from low socioeconomic backgrounds, who may not have access to devices outside of school.

Would a focused PLN be helpful to target this accessibility issue? One focused on collaborative advocacy, advice on how to improve accessibility, and tips from folks who have made positive changes in their schools?

If I were to create this PLN, I’d start with these three steps:

1. Set professional growth goals: without clear objectives, this group may not attract the specific cross-section of educators needed to create collective action.
  2. Determine whether this PLN already exists and, if so, whether it fits the growth goals outlined. Check Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for related groups. Chances are, something already exists. If your specific growth goals are not reflected in the PLN, consider reaching out to that PLN and asking if anyone else shares your growth goals. Perhaps a sub-group can be developed from this existing PLN.
  3. If nothing exists, it is time to follow the online selection criteria outlined in Online Professional Learning Networks: A Viable Solution to the Professional Development Dilemma to choose an online platform and gain traction. It is also possible to get like-minded folks interested by spreading the word about your PLN at workshops, conferences, staff meetings, and one-on-one conversations.

1. Cole

Hi Katrina,

I like that you mentioned looking to see if a PLN already exists. Quite often you will be able to find exactly what you are looking for and if not, then like you said you can set out to create a sub group!
    One area to enhance your PLN is when you say you need to set growth goals with clear objectives but do not give any examples. What would a goal you are working towards be?
    You have a good understanding of how to find exactly what you need from a PLN!

Good work,
    Cole

• Katrina.BC

Hi Cloe, thank you for that specific feedback! I ended up refining my personal goal in my infographic here and, now that it is developed, I will also add it to this post!

2. Carrie Ann Taylor

Hi, it’s Carrie Ann.
    Great post and idea!

I think your professional learning network go out is awesome! The learning and networking you do will directly impact student learning, which makes it important and useful by definition.

I, too, also like that you decide to look and see what already exists – – this can save a lot of time and provide allies and networks to more information and examples to point to/emulate.

I think it might also be useful to collaborate with the IT folks at the district level and perhaps any equity person in the district!local union… indigenous education educators or coordinators might also provide valuable support and be an important voice at the table. Each of these individuals/groups might have more ideas, information, and suggestions for supports and solutions.

I work in SD 61, so if you actually start this group, please invite me!

Thanks for the interesting post!

• Katrina.BC

Hi Carrie Ann, it’s so great to hear that you’re in my district and you’d be interested in joining this conversation! I will certainly begin the process of searching for existing groups, pulling from the membership of similarly-interested groups, and deciding whether this is something I need to start myself vs joining something already in-place. I will let you know how it goes and also welcome your insight and findings if you are also interested in pursuing this! I incorporated this goal within my final professional goal in my infographic here.