Place-based teaching and learning in SD61

Building the Plan

Screenshot of the Linoit cork board for this design challenge.

Link to the interactive board here: http://linoit.com/users/katrina-bc/canvases/Building%20the%20Plan

Linoit.com

BC ADST Curriculum

Autodesk Tinkercad. 2017. How to create a mobile maker cart and engage teachers in the process. YouTube.com.

Resources for starting and running a mobile Makerspace, from Makerspaces.com

https://ideas.demco.com/blog/maker-cart-transformed-hands-on-learning/

https://edublog.scholastic.com/post/creating-mobile-classroom-makerspace-library-program

1. Robyn

Comment from Robyn:

Katrina,
    You have some great ideas on your board! The links to the ADST curriculum are an easy way to access how it fits in with the curriculum. In regards to the desired professional skill development, maybe you would incorporate an informational/promotional event for teachers about Makerspaces and how they benefit students and learning. Some teachers may see it as “playtime” but sharing research, tasks, and the design thinking process, it may help some teachers see more value in it. Just a thought!

• Katrina.BC

Thank you! I was limited by the belief that the professional skill had to be met within the challenge. Hosting an informational session and talking about the learning benefits of a Makerspace sounds perfect.

2. Kaya

Comment by Kaya

Hi Katrina,

Your Linoit board is looking awesome so far. The questions to guide your process are a great idea! In terms of communication needs, I am not totally sure what that would look like for your design challenge. Perhaps the people you could need to communicate with in order to bring your Makerspace to life? Admin, staff, possibly community members for donations? I went a different direction on my board, but I think it is dependant on your topic. I hope that helps!

Kaya

3. Lauren

Lauren

Katrina,

I think it’s great that you’ve included links to the curriculum, and I think the video really enriches your board. I’m also impressed by your thinking process in terms of physical considerations – some really interesting and innovative ideas there.

My design challenge also has to do with a Makerspace – your design challenge is far more detailed than mine is…I wish I’d given myself a bit more guidance.

For the communication piece, I talked a bit about library configurations to allow for collaborative discussions, direct instruction/demonstrations, and presenting. I also talked about using visual cues during louder creative sessions, and about having resources available (tablets and etc.) for ELL students for translation / visual supports. You could also have a class set of chromebooks so students can add in their notes to a collaborative document as they move through different parts of the design process. Looking at Kaya’s response, I hadn’t thought at all about how to communicate in order to bring the MS to life – definitely something to consider adding. For the professional development, I also think its a great idea to have a ‘benefits of makerspace’ session. I may have misinterpreted this, as I went in the direction of what professional development I would want rather than what I would want to deliver.

Best, Lauren